Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Schools

I started school in September 1956 in the largest baby-boomer class ever to go through our local school district. While average classes numbered around 58-67 students our class started round 103-107, depending on who counted. Because of our size alone we had over crowded classrooms, learning 2-3 students per book, and having 5-7 students per class projects instead of 3-4. Also affected were things like Little League Baseball, just not having enough teams in our little town.

Competitive sports in the school district started in junior high, but were restricted to boys only (Football, Basketball, Baseball and Tract and Field) and our class managed to win championships in 7th and 8th grade Football.

During our first class meeting in high school our class councilors advised us to set some goals for us to compare to during our graduation and things to remember back on as we reminisced.

Goal 1. To do our best to help our school to win District Championships in Football every year since this was our towns favorite sport.

Goal 2. To do our best to help our school to win at least one State Football Championship.

Goal 3. To work together so that all of our classmates could graduate together.

June 2 ,1969 was the big day everyone looked forward to. As we sat waiting our turn to cross the stage were heard the principal share our goals with the audience. We had achieved District Championships every year, and at the state level we had made the second round of playoffs our freshman year, lost in the first round our sophomore year, hosted the state championship game our junior year but lost to receive second place, and hosted the state championship game our senior year to win and become state undefeated champions. As for graduation itself 93% of our class graduated with 58% of our class having registered or signed letters of intent for college the following fall. As for me, I had signed up for the delayed entrance program into the U.S. Army, and on June 12 entered active duty, the first student to leave our little community.

In November 1976 I was reassigned to the U.S. Army Signal School located then at Fort Gordon (Augusta) Georgia. Upon my arrival I was informed that the dropout rate of new recruits averaged 20-25%, for me was unbelievable. After receiving my instructor certification I assumed the position of head instructor of Section 1 which was responsible to teach basic electrical theory, wiring and soldering basics.

Instead of just doing my job I had to learn why the dropout rate seemed so high, and set out to design a plan to complete my objective.

How well can they understand directions orally?

How well can they understand what they read?

How well can they perform basic math and algebra?

To my utter surprise 20-25% of the recruits failed my screening test in these areas. Out of a class of 29 recruits, 5 failed the screening test. These recruits were compiled of two tall thin Afro-Americans (one from New Jersey and one from Los Angeles), and three shorter yet muscular types one Afro-American from Chicago and two white recruits (one from Billings Montana and one from Condon Oregon). My question for them. What makes them all the same. After a few minutes discussing between themselves that only similarity was that they were all star athletes in their schools, two in basketball and three in football. Being that I was single and lived in the barracks I set up a tutoring program for any student to better themselves to pass their required training.

To my surprise all of these recruits finished their programs successfully. During lunch on their graduation day I was introduced to the parents of the recruit from New Jersey. They had ridden all night on Amtrak to attend, the father was an engineer on the subway to New York and the mother worked as a maid in a hotel. Stating that they had been against their son’s decision to enter the Army they were so impressed how I had worked so had so he could have a chance at having a better future.

After implementing the screen tests into training orientation, and along with the tutoring dropout rates dropped to 0% within six weeks, and I was given a letter of appreciation from my supervisor.

Since my discharge in November 1980 I have lived in eight different school districts, all of which have a failing graduate success rate. Even though I have no children I have attended many school district meetings. Even with districts that are struggling with their budgets, a mention of reducing or eliminating athletic creates immediate aggressive behavior.

My neighbors youngest son graduated in 2004 with a 3.0 grade point average, and with no family funds for college he came to me for advisement on military service. Considering he was a top welding student I advised him that the Navy had the best welding program and that he could either serve in the Navy or Coast Guard (like his older brother). After failing his second attempt at entry in the service he has given up, even though the U.S. military has a shortage of recruits.

I have learned that he has a slight problem with dyslexia and received no additional assistance from his teachers in the district. Researching the problem I have found that teachers prioritize assistance to those who are college bound or athletics in season. Spending $4.8 million on athletics while 23% dropout and only 28% of graduates go on to collage does sound like a good investment of our tax dollars and the future of the U.S.

No comments: